Friday, June 27, 2008

Web 2.0 and the future of libraries

I read the five perspectives on Web 2.0 listed for Week 6. I found Away from Icebergs the most interesting. I do agree that as library users adapt to new technologies, so must libraries. I have already seen many changes in the library in the 8 years I have worked here. We've already shifted from VHS and books on tape, to DVDs and books on CD. Before long, these will also be obsolete. Many patrons are now taking advantage of downloadable audiobooks and e-books. Next, they will be looking for downloadable movies. Alot of the research being done for school projects is taking place on the internet. Having these research resources available to patrons wherever they may be is a must. Libraries, however, should not be all things to all people. The internet computers at our branch are usually monopolized by people using MySpace and the like, leading to a loud and often unruly environment. I think it is time for the counties or cities to build public computer centers to take some of this "pleasure use" out of the libraries. I'll get off my soapbox now!

No comments: